02 March 2006

Buck O'Neil should be in the Hall of Fame.

I don't know how else to put it. I don't even see it as something about which reasonable people can disagree. The Hall selectors did make the right call by inducting Effa Manley. But this . . . honestly, I'm at a loss for words.

Outrage over O'Neil's Hall snub heard in Congress

Here is a column on O'Neil response, from the site of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum--which wouldn't exist without his efforts. The columnist, Jason Whitlock of the Kansas City Star, puts it well: "The Baseball Hall of Fame needed Buck O'Neil far more than Buck O'Neil needed the Baseball Hall of Fame."

Maybe this is just my signal that I should stop caring about the Hall of Fame. Illusions die hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home