01 March 2006

Unseen. Unforgotten.

Ann Bartow of Sivacracy points to a trove of pictures from the civil rights movement on the site of The Birmingham News. These photos, which had not been published in the 1960s because they were seen as too inflammatory for the newspaper's readers, were recently rediscovered by the News.

"Unseen. Unforgotten."


I spent seven happy years of my childhood -- in the 1970s -- in Alabama. In my imperfect memory, it seems that the races mixed little even then: I can't remember any black classmates at my private school, or black playmates in my neighborhood. It's worth reflecting on how far we've come, and how far we have yet to go, toward the promise of the day when everyone "will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

These photos are well worth your attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home